Re: Display of unicode characters?

At Wed, 06 Jan 2010 15:38:42 -0500,
David Abrahams wrote:

> When I read messages in WL that contain non-ASCII characters such as curly quotes, e.g.:
>
>    this is surrounded by curly quotes
>
> it seems they are replaced by spaces.  Is there a way to fix that?

Dave,

I am not  sure, but may be you  stuck into the same problem  as I did,
for a possible solution, please  see my previous posting to this list.

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.mail.wanderlust.general/2768

The point  is that  with rev. 23  emacs changed its  internal encoding
from mule to unicode, so the emacs version upgrade with the current wl
release is a bit bumpy, and needs  to invoke a CVS version of wl and a
patch as far as unicode is concerned.

I  can send  and receive  unicode encoded  messages  without problems
(Meanwhile I am using the vanilla version of Emacs 23 on OpenSUSE 11.2)
Some people  here (mainly Vitaly Mayatskikh) already  have their hands
on that issue, so in a new release it could be resolved.

Another possible point: I looked at your header:

Wanderlust/2.15.7 (Almost Unreal)
SEMI/1.14.6 (Maruoka)
FLIM/1.14.9 (Gojō)
APEL/10.7 Emacs/23.1
(i386-apple-darwin9.8.0) <--- LOL
MULE/6.0 (HANACHIRUSATO) <--- makes me wonder...

... because mule should be obsolete in emacs 23 due to the change of the
internal encoding. May be there is some obsolete code in your .emacs ?

Best regards
Jürgen

And for a quick check: do you see umlauts and unicode characters here ?
(for me, all these are working).

German: ae=ä  oe=ö  ue=ö ss=ß

Russian:
На берегу пустынных волн