Re: [PING] Please explain: wl-summary-resend-use-cache

At Mon, 11 Jan 2010 13:51:56 -0500,
David Abrahams wrote:

> At Mon, 14 Dec 2009 06:04:33 -0500,
> David Abrahams wrote:
> >

> > The title variable is not clearly documented.
> >
> > info wanderlust sez:
> >
> >   `wl-summary-resend-use-cache'
> >        The initial setting is `nil'¡£If non-nil, messages are resend using
> >        cache even in the offline status. Note that if you use cache, the
> >        message identity is not guaranteed.
> >
> > while `M-x describe-variable <RET> wl-summary-resend-use-cache' sez:
> >
> >   *Non-nil to enable offline resending by using file cache.
> >   Note that strict message identity is not guaranteed when cache is used.
> >
> > The former makes it sound as though, if wl-summary-resend-use-cache is
> > nil, you can resend when offline, but it won't "use the cache," whatever
> > that means.  The latter makes it sound like you can't resend when
> > offline if wl-summary-resend-use-cache is nil.
> >
> > Neither description explains why the cache is relevant to resending when
> > offline, and neither explains what it means for message identity to be
> > guaranteed.  Could someone clarify these points (on the list and in the
> > docs)?
>
> Thank you!

Hi -

I never use resend functionality. It is only for bounced messages, as
far as I know. I have never seen it discussed, so I think it is a
little used feature.

In any case, docs could read, perhaps more clearly:

  If non-nil, messages are resent using the cache when offline. If
  nil, trying to resend a message when offline will fail. Note that if
  non-nil, the message identity is not guaranteed.

Does that make more sense? I am not sure myself why message identity
is not guaranteed, presumably something is not stored in the cache
which is necessary to preserving the right Message-Id when resending a
bounced message.

best,
Erik