Re: Display of unicode characters?

At Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:28:12 -0800,
Erik Hetzner wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
> At Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:35:54 -0500,
> David Abrahams wrote:
> >
> > […]
> >
> > Are there any downsides to setting mime-transfer-level instead of
> > applying the patch?  I have to admit that there's a lot about MIME I
> > don't yet understand.
>
> I doubt that you know less than me about MIME!
>
> I don’t know if there are any downsides to setting
> mime-transfer-level. Mine is always set to 7 because my work STMP
> server does not like 8 bit messages.
>
> FYI, this a confusing bug because there this issue only seems to arise
> on unpatched FLIM installations with Emacs 23. Flim on debian/ubuntu
> (at least the latest versions) seems to be patched, so some people
> will perhaps not experience this behavior, even with the same version
> of FLIM listed in the User-Agent.
>
> I don’t know how FLIM is installed for Mac OS.

I installed it myself from CVS.

> If it is via a package manager of sometime, perhaps you could ask
> for the patches used in Debian/Ubuntu [1] to be applied?

I can apply the patch myself.  But I'm still not sure why I should,
when setting the mime-transfer-level to 8 works for me.  I'd rather
not get merge conflicts the next time I update from CVS ;-)

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing