Handling of MIME Errors Out---Help

All,

I'm new to this list, so this may qualify as a FAQ.  I've spent several
days trying to get acclimated to WL, and I'm liking it alot.

I have a couple of configuration head-scratchers, though, and was hoping
someone on this list could point me in the right direction.

I will only ask about one at a time, so here's my first:

When I get an email with a Word or Excel document attached, it shows up
as a mime entity.  I understand from the SEMI manual that I should be
able to hit 'v' on the enitiy to view (or 'play') it, presumably
according to the instructions in my ~/.mailcap file.

I have ~/.mailcap entries for these, but when I try to 'v', view, an
attachment of those types, I get an error message that
"mailcap-format-command" is a void function.  Seems as though it should
just do what mailcap asks.

What am I missing?  I've consulted the SEMI manual, but the soultion is
not obvious to me.  I'm not a lisp programmer, and the SEMI manual seems
to assume a certain familiarty with elisp.

I would greatly appreciate help on this.

Regards,
--

Dan