Re: Handling of MIME Errors Out---Help

At Fri, 05 Mar 2010 11:53:50 -0600,
Daniel E. Doherty wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm new to this list, so this may qualify as a FAQ.  I've spent several
> days trying to get acclimated to WL, and I'm liking it alot.
>
> I have a couple of configuration head-scratchers, though, and was hoping
> someone on this list could point me in the right direction.
>
> I will only ask about one at a time, so here's my first:
>
> When I get an email with a Word or Excel document attached, it shows up
> as a mime entity.  I understand from the SEMI manual that I should be
> able to hit 'v' on the enitiy to view (or 'play') it, presumably
> according to the instructions in my ~/.mailcap file.
>
> I have ~/.mailcap entries for these, but when I try to 'v', view, an
> attachment of those types, I get an error message that
> "mailcap-format-command" is a void function.  Seems as though it should
> just do what mailcap asks.
>
> What am I missing?  I've consulted the SEMI manual, but the soultion is
> not obvious to me.  I'm not a lisp programmer, and the SEMI manual seems
> to assume a certain familiarty with elisp.
>
> I would greatly appreciate help on this.

Hi Daniel -

You aren’t missing anything, this should work in a working install.

mailcap-format-command is an obsolete command in FLIM. In my install
of flim (flim package in Ubuntu karmic) this function is found in
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/attic/mailcap.el and is not loaded by
default. Nonetheless I can view files.