Filter Folders

Hi again,
I'm using filter folders to find mailing list emails in my gmail
account. However, when I start wanderlust these folders show they
contain every email in my account. When I visit one, they correct
themselves and contain only the requested emails. The problem with
this is that when I check for new mail it looks like there is new mail
in those folders when there is not. Is there a way to disable checking
these folders for email until I visit one? They are just for
eyeballing email later as all new mail arrives in my inbox
Cheers,
Dave