Re: slow SMTP send blocks emacs

At Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:42:19 -0400,
David Abrahams wrote:

> At Sat, 20 Mar 2010 18:52:56 +0000,
> Richard Lewis wrote:
> >
> > However, I do occasionally experience the very slow sending messages
> > problem. At home I use ADSL with a painfully slow uplink. So when I
> > send large messages (e.g. over 100K or so), I experience an
> > appreciable delay during which my Emacs is unusable.
> >
> > One day, in the distant future, someone will make a decision about how
> > Emacs lisp with have threading support added. And then all the
> > thousands of package maintainers will gradually start altering their
> > code to take advantage of this multi-threading capability.
>
> Emacs doesn't *need* threading support to accomplish this.  Lots of
> packages interact with processes “in the background,” (during idle
> time) and I don't see why mail sending should have to be any
> different.

Yes, I think that's what I meant: a good solution is to make use of an
external process which may take as long as it likes, rather than
implement the procedure in elisp, which will *necessarily* block emacs
until it has finished *because* elisp only provides one thread of
execution.
--
Richard Lewis