wl hangs on hibernate

I'm encountering a very frustrating bug with wl: when I put my laptop
to sleep (usually using the hibernate script & tuxonice to do a 'dual'
suspend, to both ram and disk), emacs is unresponsive on wakeup.  If I
remember to quite wl before initiating the suspend, I never see this,
so I'm pretty sure that wl is the culprit.  I imagine it's something to
do with polling imap or similar process which in another mailer would
be running in the background; but of course emacs is
single-threaded...

so my two questions are:
- is anyone else seeing similar behaviour; and
- any ideas on how to diagnose and prevent this?

Thanks again, as always,
matt