Re: Wanderlust beginner part 2

At Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:12:59 -0400,
Greg A. Woods wrote:

> At Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:46:20 +0100, Simon Brown <simon@cliffestones.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Wanderlust beginner part 2
> >
> > How easy is it to install the CVS version (Do people still really use
> > CVS by choice?) I'm very reluctant to move away from packages unless
> > it's very easy.
>
> I use the code direct from CVS not only to get the latest fixes and
> improvements, but also because my own local changes are easiest for me
> to manage and update as uncommitted changes in a local working directory
> (at least that's the easiest way to use CVS -- ideally I'd use Git, Hg,
> or something else more usable in a distributed manner which supports
> local branches and easy merging, rebasing, etc.; but that's currently a
> lot more work to do until/unless the official repositories also switch
> to something more usable for distributed and local development.

It's possible to put a git repository 'over' the local working
directory of CVS to enjoy the benefits of git.

The setup I use:

 - check out cvs trunk

 - add .git and .gitignore to ~/.cvsignore

 - add CVS to .gitignore

 - git init && git add . && git commit -a -m "initial check-in"

 - modify Emacs to prefer git over cvs in the vc-* backend so vc
   backend operates on the local git repository

   ;; Move git backend in front of cvs backend
   ;; (Emacs manual, Chapter 32, esp. 32.1.8.2 Local Version Control)
   (setq vc-handled-backends
      (append
       (list 'Git)
       (delq 'Git vc-handled-backends)))

 - created git branch 'local-install' based on 'master' with
   modifications for local install

Works prefectly.  It's possible to create local branches in git, try
things out etc. and when CVS updates simply switch to 'master', update
cvs and commit to git master.

> > Wanderlust appears to have a lot of dependancies.
>
> I wouldn't say "a lot of dependencies", but yes there are some.  They're
> easy to fetch from CVS and install manually too though.

When fetching FLIM and SEMI make sure to fetch the latest version.
It's not in trunk but in the branches semi-1_14 and flim-1_14
respectively.

HTH
 -- David

--