Re: Wanderlust beginner part 2

At Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:25:34 -0400,
Greg A. Woods wrote:
> If you're not running the CVS version, try that -- it's orders of
> magnitude faster at scanning IMAP folders.  I see WL scan over 240
> folders in less than 5 seconds with emacs running on the same
> (2xHT-core) machine as my Cyrus IMAP server.  That seems very fast to
> me, and is more than fast enough at start-up time, or for whenever I
> occasionally hit 's' on the "inbox" folder.

How easy is it to install the CVS version (Do people still really use
CVS by choice?) I'm very reluctant to move away from packages unless
it's very easy. Wanderlust appears to have a lot of dependancies.

If the improvement is great, is it time for a point release?

> WL is very far less than ideal at handling folder hierarchies than it
> probably could be, but with some care, and with learning to use <M-RET>
> to re-scan sub-folders for new folders, and with some occasional manual
> "editing" of the Folder buffer to manage folder order (usually only
> necessary if some other IMAP client creates or deletes folders), it is
> workable.  (If there's one part of WL that needs a major overhaul, this
> is it!  I would love it if it would work like, for example, Apple Mail
> does, but _not_ like Thunderbird or other subscription-based MUAs do.
> Scanning should notice changes in folder structure and deal with them.)
>
> In my ~/.folders file:
>
> 	example.com IMAP folders{
> 		%inbox:woods@mail.example.com:993!/
> 	}
So You have a single mailbox rather than an access group?

> In my ~/.wl:
>
> (I'm not 100% sure this is everything needed, though it should be
> close.  I can make my entire ~/.wl file available if you like.)
>
> ;; try to create sub-folders for every level in IMAP using a recursive RE
> ;;
> ;; this doesn't properly take into account the actual hierarchy separator
> ;; specified by the IMAP server (it just allows either, and would no doubt be
> ;; royally messed up if the char that's not the true separator appears in a
> ;; folder name).
> ;;
> ;; XXX this recursive RE doesn't exactly work right.  It has the desired
> ;; effect, but only _after_ WL has learned the underlying structure, which it
> ;; seems can only currently be done by commenting out the recursive RE and
> ;; leaving just the non-recursive non-hierarchical match for IMAP folders
> ;; (i.e. the line below marked "XXX is this necessary?") while re-opening
> ;; all folders with "ESC RET", then putting it back and doing it again.
> ;;
> ;; Note: if you change the hierarchy and want to rebuild the tree do:
> ;;
> ;;	rm -rf ~/.elmo/folder
> ;;
> (setq wl-folder-hierarchy-access-folders
>       '(
> 	"^%\\([^/.]+[/.]\\)*[^/.]+\\(:\\|@\\|$\\)" ; for IMAP (recursive)
> 	"^%[^/.]+\\(:\\|@\\|$\\)"	; for IMAP (XXX is this necessary?)
> 	"^-[^.]*\\(:\\|@\\|$\\)"	; for NNTP
> 	"^@$"				; for Shimbun (?)
> 	"^'$"				; for internal (?)
> 	))
>
> ;; also do this to avoid having groups show up before the mailbox with
> ;; the same name as the group
> ;;
> ;; I wish wl-folder-update-recursive-current-entity would start with
> ;; things in the same order as wl-fldmgr-sort does, though I suppose I
> ;; could wrap the former with some advice to call the latter after it is
> ;; done to achieve the same effect.
> ;;
> (setq wl-fldmgr-sort-group-first nil)

I've some what blindly added this code but nothing seems to have
changed, I could very well have misunderstood

what I was hoping for, was to be able to define just %/ in my folders
and end up with a hierachy like:

server
       mbox1
       mbox2
       subfolder
                mbox3
                mbox4
       mbox5

what I currently have is a folders of
%/
%sub1/
%sub2/

which results in

server
        root
                mbox1
                mbox2
        sub1
                sub1/mbox3
                sub1/mbox4

I think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.

> This is what I do in my ~/.wl for automatic signing:
>
> (setq wl-draft-config-alist
>       '(
> 	; defaults for everything
> 	((or t)