Re: Similarities between expiration and scoring

Eric S Fraga writes:
> On Fri, 14 May 2010 14:21:03 +0200, Lluís <xscript@gmx.net> wrote:
>> * maintain new/unread messages on their folder undefinately

> Agreed, sort of.  See next point.

>> * maintain read (but non-disposed messages) on their folder
>> undefinately (as I've considered they contain some information
>> that could be useful somewhere in the future)

> Not agreed.  I am a big fan of the zero inbox approach so all emails
> are dealt with when read.  That need not mean anything more than
> creating a task for a given email and adding the task to whatever time
> and task management system you use (I use org-mode).  The email is
> deleted, having extracted any necessary information from it and stored
> it with the task definition.

This is not true, in my case, for mailing list folders, which conform the most
part of my gross mail bandwidth, and for which I like to keep some selected
threads around, as well as sometimes I like to recall the past history of a
thread when I consider it is now interesting to me.

As for work, personal mails, I do indeed keep track of tasks through org-mode.

>> * move disposed messages to trash (account-specific)

> Always.
>> * move sent messages to sent folder (account-specific)

> Yes; happens automatically when I send.

Idem.

>> * when entering a trash or sent folder, expire messages older than
>> an account-specific age.

> Sure.  Trash for me is deleted daily; sent messages are kept forever
> but are completely out of the way.

Sort of. I'd like to apply the same expiration policy to all mailing list mails,
including my sent mails to those lists.

>> Now, after some time following this scheme, I've found some weaknesses
>> to it:
>> * I've ended up accumulating a relatively big bunch of messages of
>> the second type

> See the zero inbox approach.

Already explained above.

>> * sometimes I'd like to do a quick search on a specific mailing
>> list, or just view past messages of current thread, but my
>> messages are split between the list's folder and a huge trash
>> folder

> Mairix is good for searching large email folders quickly.  And the
> resulting messages can easily be threaded so that it doesn't matter if
> different parts of an email conversation are in different folders.

Sorry, never found an easy way to integrate mairix with wanderlust, and if I
recall correctly, the kind of virtual folders that mairix creates cannot be
modified when visited (delete, move, etc.).

>> * disposing messages into trash requires too much time, as the trash folder
>> is overcrowded

> What format of trash folder do you use?  Maybe a different format (mh?
> maildir?) would be better?

I use maildir for all my folders, but bear in mind that the smallest of my
accounts' trash folder has 6K messages, while the largest one has almost 20K
messages.

>> Expiring already provides a hide action, which I can base on age, but:
>> * I don't know how to toggle visibility of hidden messages (either
>> all, or something like "unhide current thread").

> I also wish to know how to do this!!

Well, you don't really need that if almost all your messages are in trash, as
you said you only visit them through mairix search results.

>> * searching through 'wl-summary-pick' only applies to visible
>> messages.

> I never use wl for searching, relying on mairix instead.

As I said, I haven't found an easy (aka, not config time consuming) way to
integrate it. Maybe it's just that I'm getting lazy :)

Thanks,
        Lluis

 Tollbooth