Re: Similarities between expiration and scoring

> > Not agreed.  I am a big fan of the zero inbox approach so all emails
> > are dealt with when read.  That need not mean anything more than
> > creating a task for a given email and adding the task to whatever time
> > and task management system you use (I use org-mode).  The email is
> > deleted, having extracted any necessary information from it and stored
> > it with the task definition.
>
> This is not true, in my case, for mailing list folders, which conform the most
> part of my gross mail bandwidth, and for which I like to keep some selected
> threads around, as well as sometimes I like to recall the past history of a
> thread when I consider it is now interesting to me.

Okay.  I see.

> > Sure.  Trash for me is deleted daily; sent messages are kept forever
> > but are completely out of the way.
>
> Sort of. I'd like to apply the same expiration policy to all mailing list mails,
> including my sent mails to those lists.

Can you not configure wl to copy mail sent to mailing lists to the
same folder in which you receive the mailing list emails?  Then you
could have the same expiration policy applied to all in that folder.

> Sorry, never found an easy way to integrate mairix with wanderlust, and if I
> recall correctly, the kind of virtual folders that mairix creates cannot be
> modified when visited (delete, move, etc.).

I use the methods described in http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/hgw-init-wl.el

but you are correct that you cannot delete, move etc as the folder
that mairix creates is, in a sense, a virtual one (based on symbolic
links to the original messages).

> > What format of trash folder do you use?  Maybe a different format (mh?
> > maildir?) would be better?
>
> I use maildir for all my folders, but bear in mind that the smallest of my
> accounts' trash folder has 6K messages, while the largest one has almost 20K
> messages.

Okay!  I never let my folders get that big, even the one that records
all of my sent mail as I rotate it out of the way yearly...

> > I also wish to know how to do this!!
>
> Well, you don't really need that if almost all your messages are in trash, as
> you said you only visit them through mairix search results.

yes except that I also use WL to read news (nntp) and I use hiding to
hide all the old news articles that are there until they disappear off
the computer.  In some groups, there may be several thousand such
articles and I do sometimes want to work my way back into a thread.  I
don't use mairix on news folders however.

Best of luck!

eric
--
Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D