Re: Emacs 23.1 problems

At Mon, 09 Nov 2009 22:16:13 +0100,
Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:

> With Emacs 23.1 when I write e-mails in german and norwegian
> Wanderlust (2.15.7) always uses UTF-8 while with Emacs 22.3
> ISO-8859-1 (for german) and ISO-8859-15 (for norwegian) is used.

What's wrong with UTF-8 when writing both in German an Norwegian?

> How to get Wanderlust (under Emacs 23.1) to use UTF-8 only if
> necessary? It should try to use US-ASCII, then ISO8859 and finally
> UTF-8.

A kind of "fallback"? I don't know. But you could compile emacs without UTF-8
support, having the same behaviour as 22.3. Frankly, I don't know why one
would want to do that. Or am I missing the point?

It's no problem to write in (nearly) whatever you want using UTF-8,
og det skal aldeles ikke være noe problem i det heile tatt å få til ordentlig tekst,
tegn og skrift på både norsk, tysk og engelsk.