Re: Search folders

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 11:51:12 +0100, Simon Brown <simon@cliffestones.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> At Wed, 30 Jun 2010 17:14:38 +0100,
> Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> > What specifically would you like to be able to do?  Maybe we can help
> > with a specific example.
> Well, I understand that there are many indexing options: namazu,
> mairix, xaipan and mu at least. Comments on the relative benefits and
> how you keep the index up to date would be useful.
>
> Then once the index has been created how do you actually search using
> it. "m a" every time?
>
> e.g. body text search for Cheese
> body and subject for Peas
> sender or recipient of "Sid The Slug"
>
> Simon

Well, I use mairix and it works very well.  I have a cron job which updates the index of all of my mails regularly:

,---- a crontab line to index every 15 minutes
| 0,15,30,45 * * * * mairix
`----

I then have M-m bound to mairix-search.  You can find an excellent WL
configuration example on the Emacs wiki [1].

The mairix configuration itself is quite straightforward as well:

,---- .mairixrc
| base=root directory of your mailboxes
| maildir=colon separated list of maildirs
| mfolder=search
| mformat=maildir
| database=somewhere to store the index updated by the cron job
`----

and the search command allows you to specific which aspects of mail
messages to search (including all the examples you have given).

HTH,
eric

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/hgw-init-wl.el

--
Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D