Re: gnutls-cli works but wl hangs

On Friday 01 October 2010 20:33:44 Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 17:30:43 +0100  wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to get wl to attach to an imap server. The server uses tls,
> > with plain authentication. I'm running Ubuntu, with emacs 22 and either
> > wl 2.14.10 or wl 2.15.6 (package wl-beta). Both packages show the same
> > problem.
> >
> > The folder definition looks something like:
> >
> > %remote_folder:"my.name@example.com"/plain@imap.example.com:993!!
>
> Plain is no valid authenticate type. Try clear instead.
> Other values: login (default), cram-md5, digest-md5 and ntlm.

According to dovecote, 'plain' is perfectly valid. I also manage the imap
server, so I know that I have set up the server so that it disables 'plain' if
tls is not used, and enables 'plain' if it is. When I try to login without tls
I get the correct response that 'plain' is not supported. I get no such
respopnse when trying tsl, so either wl has not got round to asking what the
server supports, or it has asked and found 'plain' to be accepted.

Here is the capability response from the server:

CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT
LITERAL+ IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=PLAIN

Or, wl has asked the server and has go no response? Unlikely, because I got
the above string straight from the session opened with the gnutls command.

> Are you sure you want starttls on port 993? Try a single ! for SSL.

As I said, the gnutls command works just fine :-)

I should also say that the equivalent configuration under kmail (including
'plain') works without any problem, so I'm reasonably happy with what I am
trying to do.

> Good luck!

Thank you.
> -Herbert