Re: Conversation View / org-wl-store-link Enhancements

At Mon, 11 Oct 2010 23:23:48 -0700,
Erik Hetzner wrote:

> Regarding org-mode, I am going to propose to the org-mode list a mid:
> link (similar to RFC 2392). It has always kind of bothered me that org
> mode mail links are tied to a folder & a mail reader.
>
> Wouldn’t it be better if we could use:
>
>   [[mid:m2pqvs5byz.wl%dave@boostpro.com][Email from David Abrahams: Conversation View / org-wl-sto]]
>
> instead?

The problem I see here is that the message-id identifies the message,
but not its location.  A message with a given message-id could exist
literally everywhere: In IMAP mailbox A, local mailbox B, on a usenet
server... Or in all three places.

Without the information where the message resides, Org is unable to
resolve or dereference the link -- unless you introduce some mechanism
to tie the mid: link to a resolving function, that in turn is tied to
a user specific mailer...  Even worse: Without the folder information
the mid: is tied to a specific user setup (mailboxes and the like).

The folder information is vital to be able to resolve the link,
e.g. during export.  You can define rules that translate a link to a
location in your realm to a public accessible link.  E.g. if the link
points to a nntp folder at gmane, you can easily derive a http: link
when exporting a file to html.

Storing the link with mailer and folder is the right thing to do.

Best,
  -- David

--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6