Re: hidden messages

David Abrahams wrote:
>At Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:22:52 +0100,
>Vitaly Mayatskikh wrote:
>>
>> At Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:09:23 +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
>>
>> > when expunging an imap mbox, i see
>> >
>> >     "There's hidden deleted messages, expunge anyway?(y or n)"
>> >
>> > how can i see these hidden messages?
>>
>> Messages in IMAP may be marked as deleted, but they will be still
>> preserved in folder (well, it depends on your IMAP server
>> settings). Wl warns you about such messages. These messages have mark
>> 'D' in Summary.

>Not in mine; my summary doesn't show me any deleted-but-not-expunged
>messages other than perhaps the ones I've hit `D' on myself in WL. I
>can see them with other mail clients, such as roundcube and
>thunderbird, though.

Messages that are already flagged \Deleted are indeed not shown in the
summary -- they are silently ignored by WL at all.  This is somewhat
troublesome because the user has to make a decision about throwing
away messages without knowing which messages.  And if he decides not
to take the risk, he won't be able to deleted messages at all.

So, I suggest following change:

 - WL does not ignore messages with the \Deleted flag but shows them
   in summary with a special face that indicates the \Deleted flag.

 - If the user marks messages for disposal and expunges the mailbox,
   these messages are /not/ deleted.  To achieve this, WL follows
   RFC4549: Synchronization Operations for Disconnected IMAP4 Clients,
   section 4.2.4:

   - if the server supports the UIDPLUS extension and
     elmo-imap4-use-uid is non-nil, only those messages marked for
     disposal are removed using the UID EXPUNGE command

   - otherwise WL temporarily removes the \Deleted flag for the
     message not marked for disposal, EXPUNGEs the mailbox and restores
     the \Deleted flags

Best,
  -- David
--