Hung threads when writing a new message/reply

Apologies for the new-user friction (always the case when getting familiar with a new tool).

It appears to me that wanderlust periodically gets stuck -- not an infinite loop (the Ubuntu system monitor shows Emacs is sleeping with 0% cpu), but some thread never wakes up. I've seen this most often when starting a new message or reply -- the mini buffer shows either "Waiting for IMAP response" or "Saving..." but nothing happens after that and Emacs is totally unresponsive. The only way I can get control back is to kill Emacs. (Fortunately, this doesn't appear to corrupt mailbox data!)

Sometimes, if it's hanging on "Saving..." and I hit C-g, my draft window comes up (but a reply-with-citation omits the citation). C-g doesn't help as much for an "IMAP response" hang: I don't get a draft window, but at least I get control back and I can quit Emacs gracefully. Not so much fun to relaunch wanderlust fairly frequently, though.

Known issue? If not, I can fiddle with the Emacs debugger but I'm not familiar with it and it would have to wait until sometime later when I have time (really busy these days).

GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0)
Wanderlust/2.14.0.10

I'd also add, I'm inclined to be really patient with little quirks in wanderlust because my #1 requirement for an e-mail client is sensible message caching locally, and wanderlust does it exactly the way I want! I'll probably have more configuration/troubleshooting questions -- that's from a determination to make it work really well for me, no intention to complain.

Thanks!
James