3000 Sent Mail messages that weren't there 2 hours ago

Little bit of something odd just now. I made a filter folder, which worked beautifully. But then, when I tried to go back to the folder that was the source for the filter folder -- %[Gmail]/Sent Mail -- it forced me to update some 3000 messages... huh?

Resuming thread structure...done
Selecting %[Gmail]/Sent Mail...done
Checking folder diff...
Waiting for IMAP response...done
Checking folder diff...done
Too many messages(2982) in %[Gmail]/Sent Mail.  Update all? (y or n)

"Updated (-0/+3208) message(s)." Now that seems a bit unnecessary.

I'm unclear what could have happened. Did the Sent Mail folder get corrupted by filtering it (so that wl thought it didn't have all the messages)? Or did Gmail unarchive some sent messages that I had archived previously?

Just trying to brainstorm. I had opened Sent Mail earlier in the day and it didn't do that. Certainly I didn't send 3000 messages in the last couple of hours :)

Thanks,
James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world