Re: What does “remove” mean?

David Abrahams wrote:

>So I'm looking at this help:

>  wl-dispose-folder-alist is a variable defined in `wl-vars.el'.
>  Its value is
>  (("^-" . remove)
>   ("^@" . remove))

>I know what “refile” means.  What does “remove” mean?

"Remove" means: Deleting.  Internally it is refiling the messages to
ELMO's equivalent of /dev/null (elmo-null-folder).

>Especially, what does it mean in the case where the pattern matches
>"^-", i.e., an NNTP folder.

The original message will be deleted, so for nntp it is putting the
message in the killfile:

,----
`----

>And what does it mean in the case of IMAP, where messages can be
>deleted or expunged?

Same here: They are deleted, that is expunged.  In IMAP there is no
distinction between "delete" and "expunge": You might refer to the
/process/ of deleting messages that invokes flagging them with a
special flag \Deleted.  Messages that are flagged this way are always
expunged:

 - directly on the EXPUNGE command

 - indirectly by a CLOSE command on a mailbox opened read/write

WL flags messages \Deleted and then calls EXPUNGE.

HTH,
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6