Re: Back to Gnus?

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 12:42:05 -0400
Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

>I'm not happy about it, but I'm having enough problems with WL that it
>prompts serious consideration of a return to Gnus.  Among the issues:
>
>* Very rough handling of mail composition
>
>  * New messages with citations are created with embedded mime buttons

You can press 'C-c m' (wl-summary-toggle-mime-buttons) before you
reply to a message.

>  * Font lock doesn't work reliably, at all.  In fact, it's incredibly
>    annoying.  For example, If I want to insert a line a the beginning
>    of a message with a citation, I go to the end of the line
>    containing "--text follows this line--", hit `RET', and the
>    highlighting from that line extends to cover everything I type.
>    The same goes when inserting in cited text.

Yes, this is annoying, but you can turn off highlighting of
mail-header-separator in wl/wl-highlight.el. Just remove the lines
179-188:

(wl-defface wl-highlight-header-separator-face
  '(
  (((type tty)
[...]

>* Generally, too much customization required just to get some
>  functionality that's de-rigeur in many mail clients (e.g. signature
>  support).  Just look at the size of my customizations!
>  https://github.com/dabrahams/dwamacs/blob/master/settings/wl-settings.el
>
>* Connections to my IMAP and SMTP server drop every few minutes and WL
>  hangs instead of dealing with it gracefully.  I need to `C-g', wait
>  for Emacs to notice, then `M-t M-t' to get back to normal.

Hmm, I use WL with three different IMAP servers (Gmail, Fastmail and
Exchange 2010) and I don't have this problem.

-Herbert