Re: Back to Gnus?

At Tue, 05 Apr 2011 23:15:56 +0200,
Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 12:42:05 -0400
> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm not happy about it, but I'm having enough problems with WL that it
> >prompts serious consideration of a return to Gnus.  Among the issues:
> >
> >* Very rough handling of mail composition
> >
> >  * New messages with citations are created with embedded mime buttons
>
> You can press 'C-c m' (wl-summary-toggle-mime-buttons) before you
> reply to a message.

Yes, I know, but what a pain!  Especially given my last issue of
hangs, this becomes just one of many little inconveniences that add up
to cost me time and aggravation every day.

Oh, and here's another thing: those keybindings don't work when you're
actually in the message highlighting the portion you want cited.  They
only work in the summary, and that causes aggravation.  Similarly,
there are commands/keybindings that work in the message itself that
should also work from summary mode (e.g. decrypt PGP section).

> >  * Font lock doesn't work reliably, at all.  In fact, it's incredibly
> >    annoying.  For example, If I want to insert a line a the beginning
> >    of a message with a citation, I go to the end of the line
> >    containing "--text follows this line--", hit `RET', and the
> >    highlighting from that line extends to cover everything I type.
> >    The same goes when inserting in cited text.
>
> Yes, this is annoying, but you can turn off highlighting of
> mail-header-separator in wl/wl-highlight.el. Just remove the lines
> 179-188:
>
> (wl-defface wl-highlight-header-separator-face
>   '(
>   (((type tty)
> [...]

Right; I have to modify WL.  And I like the mail-header-separator to
be highlighted.  I could live with giving up mail-header-separator
highlighting, but that doesn't help when I am inserting text into a
cited section; I still get the highlighting of the citation on my new
text.  The latter is by far the more common of these cases for me.

> >* Generally, too much customization required just to get some
> >  functionality that's de-rigeur in many mail clients (e.g. signature
> >  support).  Just look at the size of my customizations!
> >  https://github.com/dabrahams/dwamacs/blob/master/settings/wl-settings.el
> >
> >* Connections to my IMAP and SMTP server drop every few minutes and WL
> >  hangs instead of dealing with it gracefully.  I need to `C-g', wait
> >  for Emacs to notice, then `M-t M-t' to get back to normal.
>
> Hmm, I use WL with three different IMAP servers (Gmail, Fastmail and
> Exchange 2010) and I don't have this problem.

I am also connecting to the GMail IMAP server.  I'm not sure why I am
losing the connection (actually, I'm just assuming that's the root
cause of this problem), but the fact is that WL doesn't deal with it
gracefully.  And that problem also occurs every time I disconnect my
wired connection and take my laptop to a different area or wake the
laptop from sleep.  I'm sure that happens to you, too.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing