Use of wl-summary-auto-sync-marks

Hi,

The setting of the variable wl-summary-auto-sync-marks seems to have a
significant impact on the speed of loading folders. For instance, it
just took WL about 20 seconds to “synchronize marks” while loading a
virtual folder with about 600 messages. All the other functions of

However, I seem to recall having bad results when I set
wl-summary-auto-sync-marks to nil. I think I recall flags being
lost. (I use WL on both a desktop and a laptop, so I need marks synced
to IMAP).

So, I had the idea of making it possible to allow the variable to be
nil, t, or an alist. Here is the implementation in
wl-summary-sync-update:

  (defun wl-summary-sync-update (&optional unset-cursor
                                           disable-killed
                                           sync-all
                                           no-check)
  [...]
      ;; synchronize marks.
      (if (and crossed (if (listp wl-summary-auto-sync-marks)
                           (wl-get-assoc-list-value wl-summary-auto-sync-marks
                             (elmo-folder-name-internal folder))
                         wl-summary-auto-sync-marks))
	  (wl-summary-sync-marks))
  [...]

And here is a setting which disables mark syncing on filter
and search folders:

  (setq wl-summary-auto-sync-marks

Does anybody have any thoughts? I am not too certain about what
syncing marks does, or rather when it is necessary, so comments are
appreciated.

best, Erik
Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.