Re: mime-w3m not loaded automatically

on Fri Jul 15 2011, Erik Hetzner <egh-AT-e6h.org> wrote:

> At Fri, 15 Jul 2011 00:31:42 -0400,
> Dave Abrahams wrote:
>>
>> Not in my experience.  It seems to work for a while, but WL (or apel,
>> flim, or semi, or all of them --- I can't remember) contains some
>> backward-compatibility elisp files that only get installed for older
>> Emacsen.  If you just put them in the load-path they will get picked up
>> instead of the more modern version in your Emacs installation and break
>> other things.
>>
>> Plus you won't get WL's icons or info that way ;-)
>
> I translated the apel, flim, semi, wanderlust logic for my pases
> packaging system. It was indeed difficult, involving a lot of
> conditional installation. Here you can see the results, which I think
> may be a little clearer to read than the Makefiles:
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~egh/pases/trunk/files/head:/systems/apel/apel.pasdef
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~egh/pases/trunk/files/head:/systems/flim/flim.pasdef
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~egh/pases/trunk/files/head:/systems/semi/semi.pasdef
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~egh/pases/trunk/files/head:/systems/wl/wl.pasdef

Wow, that's even more complicated looking than the el-get recipes:

https://github.com/dimitri/el-get/blob/master/recipes/apel.el
https://github.com/dimitri/el-get/blob/master/recipes/flim.el
https://github.com/dimitri/el-get/blob/master/recipes/semi.el
https://github.com/dimitri/el-get/blob/master/recipes/wanderlust.el

It seems like you duplicated all the logic that already exists in the
-MK files.  Aren't you worried that it's going to be a maintenance
nightmare?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing