Which mailcap?

All,

I have noticed many people have a problem with trying to view
attachments in Wanderlust.  Specifically, the /etc/mailcap file in
Ubuntu quotes the filename, and Wanderlust quotes spaces with a \_,
forming a file name that the application can't find.

I thought the easy soultion to this would be to simply add my own
~/.mailcap that has commands with unquoted arguments.

Unfortunately, WL seems to ignore my ~/.mailcap, or it gives priority to
the system /etc/mailcap, and it breaks.

I know there was a suggestion of patching the source on this mailing
list to keep WL from doing its quoting, but this will break on the next
update, so I prefer not to monkey with the source.

What do I need to set to get WL to give my mailcap priority?  Why isn't
this the default?

A related but different question: I would like to have a keybinding to a
function in Summary view that will allow me to 'play' the first
attachment in the message, saveing me from an excursion into the message
buffer, just to position the cursor next to the attachment and press
'v'.  Has anyone else done such a thing?  Any ideas?

Regards,
Daniel E. Doherty
7300 W. 110th Street, Suite 930
Overland Park, KS 66210