Instant IMAP folder opening, and cache format

Hi list, here I am with another two questions!

When I open an IMAP folder, after I've synced it, it takes some time -
wl is busy for some seconds updating marks, scoring, and maybe
something else.

Is it possible to do those operations beforehand, so that then the
folder will open instantaneously? I read my email in batches, so I'd
just like to sync all and then open all the folders quickly.

Second question: what format is the elmo cache stored in? Is it some
standard format or is it some wl oddity? In other words, is it worth
something as a backup of the remote folders?

Thanks in advance,
Francesco.