Re: WL displays only header ... no MIME buttons or content (was: Forward: Opinion Today: The Deafness Before the Storm)

At Thu, 20 Sep 2012 16:39:13 -0400,
Peter Davis wrote:

> At Thu, 20 Sep 2012 14:02:17 -0400,
> Peter Davis wrote:
> >

> > So, I'm wrestling with the fact that some HTML messages (and multipart
> > messages with HTML parts) display (via w3m) and some don't. Is there any
> > way to trouble-shoot this further?
>
> To follow up on my own post here, some further testing suggests that all
> of the cases in which WL fails to display the HTML are using charset
> UTF-8, either 7bit or quoted printable.
>
> Unfortunately, there are some cases in which UTF-8 works just fine, so
> that's not the culprit by itself. But from a few samples, it seems that
> iso-8859-1, us-ascii and windows-1252 all display just fine.
>
> Still trying to figure out what's going on here. One strange thing is
> that I get lots of email updates from the New York Times site, and you
> would think they always use the same mail parameters. Yet some of these
> display and others don't.

From my understanding of SEMI the rendering method is selected based
on the MIME type (cf. `mime-preview-condition'). You could check the
value of `mime-preview-condition' if the HTML message is not rendered
with w3m.

There should be a dispatch to `mime-w3m-preview-text/html' -- if it is
there instrument the function (C-M-x), reopen the message and step
through it.

Best,
  -- David

--