Re: WL displays only header ... no MIME buttons or content (was: Forward: Opinion Today: The Deafness Before the Storm)

At Sun, 23 Sep 2012 10:35:45 +0200,
David Maus wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
> At Thu, 20 Sep 2012 16:39:13 -0400,
> Peter Davis wrote:
> >
> > At Thu, 20 Sep 2012 14:02:17 -0400,
> > Peter Davis wrote:
> > >

> > > So, I'm wrestling with the fact that some HTML messages (and multipart
> > > messages with HTML parts) display (via w3m) and some don't. Is there any
> > > way to trouble-shoot this further?
> >
> > To follow up on my own post here, some further testing suggests that all
> > of the cases in which WL fails to display the HTML are using charset
> > UTF-8, either 7bit or quoted printable.
> >
> > Unfortunately, there are some cases in which UTF-8 works just fine, so
> > that's not the culprit by itself. But from a few samples, it seems that
> > iso-8859-1, us-ascii and windows-1252 all display just fine.
> >
> > Still trying to figure out what's going on here. One strange thing is
> > that I get lots of email updates from the New York Times site, and you
> > would think they always use the same mail parameters. Yet some of these
> > display and others don't.
>
> From my understanding of SEMI the rendering method is selected based
> on the MIME type (cf. `mime-preview-condition'). You could check the
> value of `mime-preview-condition' if the HTML message is not rendered
> with w3m.
>
> There should be a dispatch to `mime-w3m-preview-text/html' -- if it is
> there instrument the function (C-M-x), reopen the message and step
> through it.

Well, I no sooner wrote my previous message then WL decided to let me
view the thread after all. I think I just did 'p' and then 'n' to get
back to the first message in the thread, and suddenly I could see the
thread in the Summary window.

-pd