gnutls error

Hi,

I just switched from Ubuntu 12.04 to Debian testing.  Now I can't send email
from a certain smtp server anymore.

*Messages* shows:

------------------------8<------------------------

Sending...
Opening STARTTLS connection to `<smtp-server>:465'...done
STARTTLS negotiation failed: SN
STARTTLS
220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
*** Starting TLS handshake
- Peer's certificate issuer is unknown
- Peer's certificate is NOT trusted
- The hostname in the certificate matches '<smtp-server>'.
*** Verifying server certificate failed...
*** Fatal error: Error in the certificate.
- Certificate type: X.509
- Got a certificate list of 2 certificates.
- Certificate[0] info:
 - <subject and public key>

- Certificate[1] info:
 - <subject and public key>

*** Handshake has failed

What can I do to diagnose this further?  "Handshake has failed" is a bit
unhelpful.

--
Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt