Re: mailcrypt by default

At Sun, 11 Aug 2013 12:35:34 +0900, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:
Subject: Re: mailcrypt by default

> >> anyone know how to tell mailcrypt to encrypt by default if i have a key
> >> for the recipient(s)?
> > For use with WL I would recommend using semi's mime-pgp interface to
> > PGG, which is enabled by default (with `(setq mime-setup-enable-pgp t)'
> > and simply by configuring PGG as desired to make use of it.  PGG has
> > been included in Emacs, courtesy of GNUS, since 22.1.  If you wish to
> > try it I can send my PGG setup as an example.  It even works for
> > signing with different keys depending on the from address.
>
> and do you encrypt by default to those whose key(s) you have?
>
> otherwise, the gain does not seem worth the pain.

Currently I'm using it via `wl-draft-config-alist', using a little trick
I think I learnt here on the list once upon a time.

For my purposes this is sufficient as I have relatively few contacts who
have keys, and that list hasn't changed very often.  So, I just set
things up to always encrypt to those contacts whom I have keys for, and
otherwise I just sign the message, unless I'm using a from address which
cannot be used for signing.

I'm sure this could be automated by scanning the keyring to find all the
addresses one can encrypt for and then using an expression, perhaps also
in wl-draft-config-alist.

One interesting thing I learnt the hard way about wl-draft-config-alist
is that all matching sub-expressions are applied unless
wl-draf-config-matchone is non-nil.  I didn't expect this behaviour at
first, but it might actually be helpful in setting up auto-encryption.

> randy, who also was a vm user

It was good while it lasted!

Meanwhile I still would like to push all my old mbox-format folders back
up to my IMAP server, but I haven't got around to it.  I kinda wish
there were a plain mbox access method for WL....

--
						Greg A. Woods
						Planix, Inc.

<woods@planix.com>       +1 250 762-7675        http://www.planix.com/