Re: wl-fcc vs encrypted mails

On Sun, 2013-09-08 at 19:14 +0200, Michael Welle wrote:
> Ken Gunderson wrote:
> > In light of recent NSA & Snowden events and quantum computing... it's
> > probably a moot point anyhow :(
> I really don't know what's going on. I like to think that all the
> recent rumours are based on 'weaknesses' or backdoors in products like
> VPN endpoints, closed source software systems, x509 certs from
> commercial vendors, on weak passphrases etc. But I'm not an expert on
> this things ;(.

I don't think that they are able to decrypt PGP keys very fast. I guess
it still takes years to decrypt a key. Perhaps the decryption doesn't
take 10 or 20 years anymore, but just 2 or 5 years, however, rolling
keys should protect against this. Sure, they store everything, just in
case, but they also need to delete the tons of useless data very often.
IOW, even if they should be able to get access to all data, how should
they store such an amount of data, how should they be able to take stock
of all the data? The hype is ridiculous. Sometimes I guess that Snowden
isn't a traitor, but an employee of the USA and what we hear and see is
a "marketing campaign" to bluff us, how mighty the USA should be, while
they are not half as mighty. It's inconclusively, but to be fair, I'm
not interested in this and didn't follow the news and didn't read
opinions of experts. Intelligence agencies do, what intelligence
agencies do, so I'm not surprised.

Computer web experts from the police of all nations aren't able to block
all the phishing and child porn websites, but the NSA should be able to
control everything. How do they do it? Do you think the people working
for the police are idiots and the NSA guys are super heroes? Do you
think the NSA has got computers from outer space? For sure, for the NSA
experts with the best knowhow do work and they might have better
computers than anybody else, but they don't have superheroes powers and
they still use human technology.

I don't believe the hype.

2 cents,
Ralf