Re: wl-fcc vs encrypted mails

At Mon, 09 Sep 2013 02:44:53 +0200,
Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sun, 2013-09-08 at 19:14 +0200, Michael Welle wrote:
> > Ken Gunderson wrote:
> > > In light of recent NSA & Snowden events and quantum computing... it's
> > > probably a moot point anyhow :(
> > I really don't know what's going on. I like to think that all the
> > recent rumours are based on 'weaknesses' or backdoors in products like
> > VPN endpoints, closed source software systems, x509 certs from
> > commercial vendors, on weak passphrases etc. But I'm not an expert on
> > this things ;(.
>
> I don't think that they are able to decrypt PGP keys very fast. I guess
> it still takes years to decrypt a key. Perhaps the decryption doesn't
> take 10 or 20 years anymore, but just 2 or 5 years, however, rolling
> keys should protect against this. Sure, they store everything, just in
> case, but they also need to delete the tons of useless data very often.
> IOW, even if they should be able to get access to all data, how should
> they store such an amount of data, how should they be able to take stock
> of all the data? The hype is ridiculous. Sometimes I guess that Snowden
> isn't a traitor, but an employee of the USA and what we hear and see is
> a "marketing campaign" to bluff us, how mighty the USA should be, while
> they are not half as mighty. It's inconclusively, but to be fair, I'm
> not interested in this and didn't follow the news and didn't read
> opinions of experts. Intelligence agencies do, what intelligence
> agencies do, so I'm not surprised.
>
> Computer web experts from the police of all nations aren't able to block
> all the phishing and child porn websites, but the NSA should be able to
> control everything. How do they do it? Do you think the people working
> for the police are idiots and the NSA guys are super heroes? Do you
> think the NSA has got computers from outer space? For sure, for the NSA
> experts with the best knowhow do work and they might have better
> computers than anybody else, but they don't have superheroes powers and
> they still use human technology.
>
> I don't believe the hype.

The link is now 404, but iirc Quantum computing (Google has a couple,
hence the NSA has access) can break the strongest ssh cyphers (ECDSA
last I looked) in a matter of hours.  Not sure if this was real life
or proof of concept paper because it's been about a year or so since I
ran across it.

<http://synaptic-labs.com/ecosystem/context-qc-relevant-today.html>

Maybe post Snowden they buried it but might try searching their site

<http://www.synaptic-labs.com/>

Ciao-- Ken