Soliciting clue for teething problems

Hello.

I've just begun to explore WL and am having "teething problems".
I'ld really appreciate pointers towards resolving these.

I have three IMAP accounts and a number of client platforms
where I would like to use WL.  Ostensibly identical configurations
behave in different ways, both for IMAP and for SMTP.

Is there some logging I can enable, which will let me see what's
different between what works and what doesn't?

Here's an overview of my situation.  I can give (much!) more detail,
but I'm not sure at this stage what woudl be useful.

On the first client platform (Ubuntu), unfortunately now dead due to a
hardware problem, everything "just worked".  I could access folders on
all three accounts and could send through each of the SMTP servers
involved.  Before the box died, I was able to copy the configuration
for use elsewhere.

On the second platform (OSX Mavericks -- the real production target),
all seemed well at first.  I could read my folders, delete messages,
and whatever else I tried to do with IMAP.  Sending was a different
story.  The error message let me know that the gnutls-cli executable
was missing.  After some detours choosing a package manager and
installing the gnutls utilities, I've not yet been able to make the
problem go away.

I decided to create a virtual Ubuntu system and use it as a reference
platform.  Now I had the surprise that one of my IMAP connections was
failing, while the other two just worked (as before, on either of the
other platforms).

The three INBOX folders are specified using similar syntax, thus:

  %INBOX:"Firstname.Lastname@ucd.ie"/clear@imap.gmail.com:993!
  %INBOX:someid/clear@imap.gmail.com:993!
  %INBOX:otherid/clear@imap.no8.be:993!

I expect that WL (elmo) will use the same method to open each
connection.  For the last one, I'm getting the message

  Auto plugged off at imap.no8.be:993 :elmo-network-initialize-session
  byte-code: Cannot open: elmo-network-initialize-session

and this before being asked for a password, and with nothing to show
in the *IMAP DEBUG* buffer.  Indeed, if I arrange for this folder to
be the first for checking, the *IMAP DEBUG* buffer isn't even created.
This buffer is subsequently created and written whenever I later run
wl-summary-sync against one of the other INBOX folders.

As I mentioned, I'ld really appreciate some pointers.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Niall O'Reilly