Re: Soliciting clue for teething problems

At Thu, 09 Jan 2014 17:32:16 +0000,
Niall O'Reilly wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I've just begun to explore WL and am having "teething problems".
> I'ld really appreciate pointers towards resolving these.
>
> I have three IMAP accounts and a number of client platforms
> where I would like to use WL.  Ostensibly identical configurations
> behave in different ways, both for IMAP and for SMTP.
>
> Is there some logging I can enable, which will let me see what's
> different between what works and what doesn't?
>
> Here's an overview of my situation.  I can give (much!) more detail,
> but I'm not sure at this stage what woudl be useful.
>
> On the first client platform (Ubuntu), unfortunately now dead due to a
> hardware problem, everything "just worked".  I could access folders on
> all three accounts and could send through each of the SMTP servers
> involved.  Before the box died, I was able to copy the configuration
> for use elsewhere.
>
> On the second platform (OSX Mavericks -- the real production target),
> all seemed well at first.  I could read my folders, delete messages,
> and whatever else I tried to do with IMAP.  Sending was a different
> story.  The error message let me know that the gnutls-cli executable
> was missing.  After some detours choosing a package manager and
> installing the gnutls utilities, I've not yet been able to make the
> problem go away.
>
> I decided to create a virtual Ubuntu system and use it as a reference
> platform.  Now I had the surprise that one of my IMAP connections was
> failing, while the other two just worked (as before, on either of the
> other platforms).
>
> The three INBOX folders are specified using similar syntax, thus:
>
>   %INBOX:"Firstname.Lastname@ucd.ie"/clear@imap.gmail.com:993!
>   %INBOX:someid/clear@imap.gmail.com:993!
>   %INBOX:otherid/clear@imap.no8.be:993!
>
> I expect that WL (elmo) will use the same method to open each
> connection.  For the last one, I'm getting the message
>
>   Auto plugged off at imap.no8.be:993 :elmo-network-initialize-session
>   byte-code: Cannot open: elmo-network-initialize-session
>
> and this before being asked for a password, and with nothing to show
> in the *IMAP DEBUG* buffer.  Indeed, if I arrange for this folder to
> be the first for checking, the *IMAP DEBUG* buffer isn't even created.
> This buffer is subsequently created and written whenever I later run
> wl-summary-sync against one of the other INBOX folders.
>
> As I mentioned, I'ld really appreciate some pointers.
>
> Thanks in advance and best regards,

Hi Niall,

It sounds like an SSL problem. Recent versions of WL use the gnutls
library included in emacs. I think this probably works best if you
have it. The value of elmo-network-stream-type-alist will tell you
what method is being for ssl (it could be open-gnutls-stream or
open-tls-stream or open-ssl-stream.

Searching the mailing list for gnutls or openssl will give you some
possible solutions. Itʼs likely that if SSL is refusing to connect for
some security issue.

It would be really nice if WL didnʼt fail silently with SSL problems,
but Iʼm not sure the way to fix that.

best, Erik

--
Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.