Tracing of SMTP session?

Dear All,

Since a few days I have problems sending emails with attachments (pdf,
small ones ~ 1.0M) from another mail address. When I try, emacs
hangs. After some minutes I have to press C-g and quit... I have no
problems sending attachments from this (gmail) address.

The problem is that I cannot say where the problem is ... :) I don't
know where it hangs. Since I have to C-g no trace of the smtp session
is created. I would be nice to have some trace of what is happening
and at what point everythings hangs up. Having that information would
help to communicate with my sysadmin.

Is ther a way to get such "trace"?

Thank you very much for your help!

David