elmo-rss

Hi,

I've put some code to add RSS/Atom/OPML support to Wanderlust that is
somewhat simpler to use than the existing shimbun backend on:

    http://www.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr/~jch/software/files/elmo-rss.el

Just dump this somewhere in your load-path, byte-compile it, and say
something like:

    m a rss:https://github.com/wanderlust/wanderlust/commits/master.atom

To avoid slowing down Wanderlust, you'll probably want to add "^rss:" to
your wl-auto-uncheck-folder-list.

We don't do any local caching, so if you want to keep a local version of
your notifications, you'll need to use a pipe folder:

    m a |rss:http://lwn.net/headlines/newrss|+lwn

Finally, you can also use a feed as an access group; this is only expected
to be useful with OPML catalogs and syndicated Atom feeds:

    m A rss:http://planet.gnome.org/atom.xml

I'm using this for real work (tracking activity on our local GitLab
instance), and I've been running it with no issues for two weeks now, so
you should expect this code to be reasonably stable.  This is supposed to
handle both RSS variants (1.0 and 2.0), all two of the three Atom variants
(XHTML, double-encoded HTML, but not binary).  There are some formatting
issues with XHTML-based Atom feeds (due to an issue with Emacs XML parser,
which I've reported).  If you find a feed that it doesn't grok, please let
me know.

The main point of writing this code was to have a backend that's
configuration-free: you see an RSS feed, you add it to Wanderlust in one
swift motion of the keyboard.  While I'm not opposed to adding one
defcustom or two, I'll reject any patches that require extra setup.

A final caveat: while the messages this generates look like e-mail
messages, they're not: the Message-ID looks nothing like a Message-ID, the
headers are raw UTF-8, and the From header is not necessarily an e-mail
address.  If you try to copy one of these messages to an IMAP folder and
the IMAP server would be right to reject it.

David, Kazuhiro-san: do you want me to prepare this for submission into
Wanderlust, or do you prefer it to remain separate?

-- Juliusz