Re: Diagnosing error after sending

Hi Erik,
Hi all,

At Wed, 09 Jul 2014 09:16:41 -0700,
Erik Hetzner wrote:

> As an aside, I am having some trouble trying to figure out how to
> clean up the APEL/SEMI/FLIM repo divergence (between the github and
> git.chise.org repos, both of which were converted independently, and
> slightly differently, from the old CVS repos, and which have diverged
> somewhat since then). If anybody has any suggestions I would
> appreciate them.

The SEMI/FLIM/APEL-situation is really unfortunate. I came up with the
following options:

A. Make our versions of SEMI/APEL/FLIM part of the Wanderlust
A1. Add our repositories as git submodule

-or-

A2. Import the files into the WL repository
    (Bonus: Import the files' history, too)

B. Publish our version with a distinct name

E.g. apel-wl, semi-wl, and flim-wl and make the wl package depend on
those packages.

I discarded:

C. Base the MELP-packages on chise.org and maintain a patch that
   updates those version to our current version (similar to what
   Debian does).

   => Too much effort

D. Base the MELPA on the Debian packages

   => Too much effort

And I am not sure about

E. Officially fork APEL/SEMI/FLIM

I think that an official fork is justified: The official development
of the packages has stalled, the real development happens in our
repositories.

Or, maybe is are combinations:

F1. Fork SEMI and remove all dependencies on APEL and FLIM
F2. Include SEMI into WL and remove the dependencies on APEL and FLIM

Best,
  -- David