IMAP process hanging Emacs, or just failing

I'm sending this from webmail, not wanderlust (as I would prefer), because at the moment, wanderlust's attempts to contact the IMAP server are doing nothing except causing Emacs to consume 100% CPU on one of the cores.

I've seen this happen many times before, usually when the connection has been idle and it's trying to open a new connection. Usually I can resolve the problem by doing M-t twice (forcibly kill the old connection, and open a new one).

Today, however, this didn't help. Neither did closing Emacs entirely, relaunching, and restarting wl.

First relaunch of Emacs: in the Folder buffer, updating folder statistics cause an infinite loop.

Second relaunch of Emacs: Folder buffer, the same operation stops abnormally with the message "Process IMAP is not running."

How do I even begin to troubleshoot this? I really don't want to have to go back to *shudder* Claws mail...

Linux hjh-e431 3.11.0-26-generic #45~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 15 04:02:35 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

This is GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2) of 2014-02-22 on king, modified by Debian

Wanderlust 2.15.9 from el-get.

hjh