Re: [Fwd: Request for Advice on VGRS IDN Announcement]

On tisdag, jan 7, 2003, at 17:44 Europe/Stockholm, James Kempf wrote:

Do you feel comfortable with having just Verisign do this for the TLDs it
controls and not other operaters, and ccTLDs?
I don't feel comfortable at all...especially when we might get different result depending on what protocol is used and what domain is used.

What I feel "sort of ok with" (with bad taste in my mouth), partially based on what Rob wrote about Microsoft doing UTF-8 support, is having a registry adding special matching for UTF-8 encoding of domains which is already registered according to IDNA. And, then only for http. And, then only give information about IDNA.

Many "if", and it seems that what Verisign has done is failing on most -- if not all -- of them.

So I am not comfortable at all if not the 6 bullets below is fixed.

Also, note that people like the .NU domain is already doing similar things, so Verisign is by far not the first one. We must to a certain degree accept that the kamel have it's nose in the tent already. The question is whether we can stop it where it is. I hope we can, especially as we have rope already connected to this very specific kamel (which happen to be very very large).

paf

            jak

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrik Fältström" <paf@cisco.com>
To: "Leslie Daigle" <leslie@thinkingcat.com>
Cc: <iab@ietf.org>; <iesg@ietf.org>
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 10:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Request for Advice on VGRS IDN Announcement]

[Steve Bellovin and myself have been talking a bit about this, since
the announcement on the Nanog list (among other places). That the
announcement was done on a Friday, before a holiday in many countries
(including Sweden), is unfortunately something Verisign have done MANY
TIMES, and I start to get really really tired -- it feels like it is
done the times when Verisign feel what they do is on the edge to what
is ok (which for us means it is far out)]

First some background on "Internationalized strings". I don't claim
here I use 100% correct terms for everything, because I have
concentrated on getting the story right, AND, getting something to IAB
and IESG fast.

If you think you know the background, scroll down to "Now to the
issue:".

Background:

When looking at a string, you have a "virtual sequence of characters".
No mapping to any "values" at all. They are just characters. This is
what is drawn on the screen for a user, and what the user think he type
into for example a web browser.

The string of characters is handled by a sequence of values in a
specific character set (not the IETF version of charset). One such is
Unicode. Another is US-ASCII. A third ISO-8859-1 etc. IETF has decided
that the character set we work with is Unicode / ISO-10646. Reason is
that it is the largest character set that exists, which increases the
chance that it is possible to map from a random character in a random
character set (not Unicode) and be happy. Alternative (which we use in
some standards, like MIME for email) is that we always tell what
charset the data is in.

When talking about characters at this level, we also have to talk about
equivalence problems. In Unicode, this is resolved by having Unicode
Consortium defining equivalence tables (with variable success), and
normally the normalization (which is what the process is called) works
by mapping one or more characters after each other to another series of
characters. This is an M:1 mapping, i.e. non-reversable.

Third issue is to represent the string of characters in a specific
charset by bits. Unicode can be represented in various ways, and we use
normally UTF-8 because it is backward compatible with US-ASCII in an
8-bit clean environment. Negative side is that the characters have
variable length, and by that I one character can be variable number of
octets.

In IDNA, the choice we (as authors) made was to NOT use UTF-8 but
instead an ACE -- ascii encoding. And the reasons are two (mainly):

- Application layer protocols are not 8-bit clean
- Applications which use UTF-8 do not do normalization

The second looks weird, but, we wanted to force people to do changes in
software when implementing IDN, because the normalization _is_
important, and forcing normalization (changed matching rules) in DNS
servers, and application servers is something we thought was a definite
showstopper. It is also impossible to distinguish the 8-bit bytes
coming from a correct implementation from something "old". The "prefix"
(zq--) we use in the ACE makes it possible to implement "better"
mechanisms in the future.

Now to the issue:

Internet Explorer on Windows send out DNS queries using UTF-8, and
other browsers send out IDN using other character sets. No
normalization, no IDNA ACE encoding.

Because of this, with IDNA, what to do with 8-bit octets is still
"unclear" even though most DNS servers map bit by bit for octets where
the 8th bit is set, and for 7-bit octets they are matched in a
case-insensitive matching in US-ASCII.

People register IDNA domain names, which because of IDNA is registered
using the ACE encoding.

When someone which have a software which do not support IDNA, random
bytes will possibly be sent from the application. In the case of
Internet Explorer on Windows, UTF-8 encoding and not ACE encoding (and
not normalization) of registered domain name will be sent.

What Verisign seem to have implemented is the following:

(1) When a query comes which have the 8th bit set in 2nd level domain,
they give back an A record pointing to their servers.
(2) Those servers respond to the HTTP protocol on port 80.
(3) They give back a response which is a webpage which inform about a
plugin.
(4) It also give back ability to click on one alternative domain, which
is to say what domain the user "want to connect to"
(5) Some rumors say the plugin do not work for all TLD's but only .com,
.net and other TLD's which have paid to Verisign.
(6) The software they have is doing automatically update of itself

Issues:

(1) For me, this could be ok IFF the query was in UTF-8, and only
matched a domain name which actually is registered in ACE according to
IDNA. Verisign give back this A-record _regardless_ of what the query
is.

(2) I have not checked, but I really hope the IP address only have
something listening to HTTP on port 80. This way, non-web-applications
will get an application layer failure instead of DNS NXDOMAIN, and I
think that is "sort of ok". For the user, it gives approximately the
same experience. Can be discussed of course. What is important though
is that the HTTP server MUST verify the HOST header in the HTTP
protocol, and only give back a response if the value of the HOST header
also matches some domain name registered according to IDNA.

(3) This I think is ok. The webpage SHOULD inform of IDNA, MAY inform
about the plugin.

(4) This is guessing using the DNS, and that is a _VERY_BAD_THING_. The
guessing is (according to a dump of a webpage I got from Paul Hoffman)
choices based on query not being in UTF-8 Unicode, but a random
character set. For example all ISO-8859-x charsets that exists. Also,
the choices seems to be questionably mapped to actually registered
domain names. If the mapping is not there, then Verisign from my point
of view is doing speculative matchings/redirections and not the
_service_ which they might do as a registry for the registrant.

(5) The plugin _DO_ the right thing for IDNA. This is a good thing,
BUT, if the rumor is correct that it does not work for all labels in
all domains, then it is destroying much more than what it fixes.

(6) Automatic update of software is not a bad thing. BUT, it MUST
always ask for confirmation from the user, which the user can cancel.
This part from doing checksums, and other security measures of course.
Information I have say the update is automatic, in the background, and
the user is not told what happens. REALLY BAD.

I think these are the 6 issues where Verisign could have done a better
job, but they screwed up big time.

It can be fixed though, and should be.

My view is that IAB/IESG should tell ICANN the 6 points above MUST be
fixed by Verisign before IAB/IESG feel the implementation is according
to the IDNA standard and acceptable use of the DNS and other protocols
defined by the IETF process.

I have no problem being the contact person which Verisign can pass
ideas/suggestions/etc to.

paf