Re: draft-yergeau-rfc2279bis-02.txt for STANDARD

On fredag, jan 10, 2003, at 09:15 Europe/Stockholm, ned.freed@mrochek.com wrote:

> (c) Slip in a sentence somewhere (maybe as a security
> consideration) indicating that > 4 bytes is possible in the future and
> that programs should not be designed on the assumption that they will
> never see more than four bytes. I.e., interoperability testing at <= 4
> is fine, but I'd hate to set someone up for a buffer overflow problem.

I think this is not likely to be needed; it should be OK to treat 5+ byte
encodings as a protocol error. But I could be wrong...
Actually, I think it is preferable to treat them as protocol errors, due to
the need for UTF-16 compatibility.
I still would like to have a wording about this in a security considerations section so we minimize the risk for buffer overflow.

paf