Re: draft-yergeau-rfc2279bis-02.txt for STANDARD

In message <BF61D702-2482-11D7-8818-0003934B2128@cisco.com>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Pat
rik_F=E4ltstr=F6m?= writes:

>>> and
>>> will
>>> <= 4
>>> problem.
>>
>>> I think this is not likely to be needed; it should be OK to treat 5+
>>> byte
>>> encodings as a protocol error. But I could be wrong...
>>
>> Actually, I think it is preferable to treat them as protocol errors,
>> due to
>> the need for UTF-16 compatibility.
>
>I still would like to have a wording about this in a security
>considerations section so we minimize the risk for buffer overflow.
>

>From what others have said -- I know little of UTF -- the proper
wording would be a warning that the encoding might specify longer
sequences, even though they're not legal in our context; thus,
applications should be aware of the possibility and handle it.