Re: draft-yergeau-rfc2279bis-02.txt for STANDARD

On fredag, jan 10, 2003, at 13:03 Europe/Stockholm, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

From what others have said -- I know little of UTF
Short description (just in case):

When you encode a character from ISO-10646 or Unicode into UTF-8, the length of the output depends on what value the codepoint has. It is a variable length encoding.

The wording I want should say the encoding is not limited to what is described in the document, but can be longer, so people should not do guesses on the size of the output (without inspecting the input, one can calculate the size needed in one run, and then encode on the second) just because the document has such a limit.

paf