Re: Draft response on .Com & .Net issue

On Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003, at 14:23 America/Montreal, Leslie Daigle wrote:
In my opinion, Ted and I (and perhaps Ran) haven't yet come to closure
on what other document is appropriate to follow up with.
If there was some consensus on the call, someone please share that.
(I haven't seen any draft call minutes yet.) Barring something
on the call, I haven't seen much discussion or any obvious consensus
either way on which path to take for the document. As far as
I know, only one document is being considered, with some discussion
about what the contents of that document might be.

My suggestion was very different than Ted has outlined in the text you
quoted. My suggestion was that the IAB put forth a document expressing
IAB concerns about DNS operational issues in an "IAB Considerations"
document -- instead of publishing an anti-Verisign witchhunt document
as has been proposed by others. The document I propose would specifically
be responsive to the request from ICANN, but, rather than being a
witch-hunt focused on Verisign, would also mention some other DNS-related
issues (e.g. Microsoft's non-standard internationalised URL/resolver stuff).
It need not be comprehensive about all concerns that anyone in the world
has, but should cover several current concerns in order to be more balanced
than the focused anti-VeriSign document that others have outlined here.

I'll leave aside the 3rd thing
Ted mentions below, because I have not yet heard a proposal for
it that would make it within the IAB's scope.
To Leslie's comment, the proposal in my paragraph above is just
as obviously within the IAB charter and scope as any other IAB
Considerations document has ever been.  There is nothing new, weird,
or different in this proposal.  I'm just saying that we ought
not write up a document attacking a single firm when there are
multiple firms that are engaging in active behaviours that have
adverse impact on the DNS.  (and no, I have no financial interest
or love for Verisign; I do have interest in IAB being even-handed
to all parties).

Ran
rja@extremenetworks.com