Re: Draft response on .Com & .Net issue

Ran,
	I don't think anyone is conducting an anti-VeriSign
"witch-hunt".  This document and issue are focused on the operation of
a part of the DNS infrastructure, which changed without prior
discussion in a way that is contrary to the standards.  This is not an
attack on the company, it is a technical review of the operation.  I,
and I believe everyone else involved from the IETF point of view, has
been very careful to keep this as focused on the technical issues as
we can.   Please help us keep that focus.
	A wider technical review is, of course, one of the options
open to us, and an "IAB Considerations" document would be one way to
do that.  The difficulty would be getting a broader technical review
published in a timely fashion, especially since this topic has a
scope-creep index that is very, very high.  I would personally try to
limit that by focusing the IAB Consideration on issues where the
infrastructure operators' behavior caused concern (as, for example,
.nu and possibly .museum).
	It would also, as you note below, be possible to focus on
internationalization issues.  As I've said before, I think it will be
much better to write a "this is the way it works" doc than a
considerations doc on the various ways people have put out there that
don't work.  In any case, Leslie has called for other opinions on
this, and I look forward to hearing those as we move forward.
				regards,
					Ted Hardie