Re: draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-11.txt

--On fredag, januar 24, 2003 14:15:16 -0500 Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com> wrote:

If a hold were to be place on a document, I think it would be wise to:

- require a explicit request from the body handling the appeal first

- the body handling the appeal should do a quick evaluation and make
  an initial judgement as to the likelyhood of upholding the appeal,
  and only hold up publication if it expects to uphold the appeal

- the body should consider whether publication needs to be delayed in
  order to have a reasonable remedy, should an appeal be upheld

- there needs to be a specific and reasonable deadline for resolving
  the appeal, so that the process does not drag out indefinitely

There are probably other factors to consider I'm not thinking of right
off. I'll also note that in the past, AFAIK, neither the IESG nor the
IAB have placed holds on documents pending appeals (e.g.,
SNMPv2). Doing so now would set a precedent that we need to think
carefully about.
arguing the other side of the coin....
in the case of the Glen Zorn appeal, we (well, Randy) DID ask the RFC Editor to hold the document.
And the final response from the IESG, asking the RFC Editor not to publish the document at all at this time, is in my editing hands....

So sometimes we do ask for a hold.

Harald