Re: draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-11.txt

Howdy,

Without viewing this as more process, these look like
sensible information to provide.
Answering a slightly different set of questions:

The IAB, currently handling the appeal concerning this
document, requests that its publication be put on hold.
The reason is that the IAB feels some possible outcomes
of the appeal deliberations may not be practically implementable if the document is in fact published,
since the RFC series is archival.

I am currently asking for a stay of 2 weeks from
today. By that time, the IAB will either: release
the hold request or define an extended period for consideration
with renewed justification (we're not just sitting
on our thumbs :-)
Thanks,
Leslie.

Thomas Narten wrote:
If a hold were to be place on a document, I think it would be wise to:

- require a explicit request from the body handling the appeal first

- the body handling the appeal should do a quick evaluation and make
  an initial judgement as to the likelyhood of upholding the appeal,
  and only hold up publication if it expects to uphold the appeal

- the body should consider whether publication needs to be delayed in
  order to have a reasonable remedy, should an appeal be upheld

- there needs to be a specific and reasonable deadline for resolving
  the appeal, so that the process does not drag out indefinitely

There are probably other factors to consider I'm not thinking of right
off. I'll also note that in the past, AFAIK, neither the IESG nor the
IAB have placed holds on documents pending appeals (e.g.,
SNMPv2). Doing so now would set a precedent that we need to think
carefully about.

Thomas

"An essential element of a successful journey
   is recognizing when you have arrived."
  -- ThinkingCat  (c.1983 - 2002)

Leslie Daigle
leslie@thinkingcat.com