Re: [mobile-ip] Last Call: Mobility Support in IPv6 to ProposedStandard

Hello,

I've continued the commentary of these issues under specific threads (Cc:
only mobile-ip).

Below just a few really brief summaries..

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Jari Arkko wrote:
> Hello Pekka and thanks for your in-depth review!
>
> Just a few quick comments below. For the rest, your e-mail has
> been filed as issues 232 through . (I'm hoping that folks can
> use an Subject line when discussing the individual items
> so its easier to track which issue we are discussing.)
>
> * The special case NS hack is being discussed in another thread,
>    and that is filed as an issue #218. I believe folks are
>    coming up with a potentially less hackish solution for this.

Good.

> * The 160/128 bit entropy issue: I don't think entropy has been
>    a consideration in making the Kbm 20 bytes. Rather, where
>    Kbm is used (HMAC_SHA1) you can give a 20 byte input. RFC
>    2104 allows smaller lengths as well, but I'm not sure it
>    increases the security; it might even lower it. But yes,
>    the true entropy is what originally came into the system.
>    I still think we should not explicitly make the values
>    shorter. But did you want an explanation somewhere about
>    the implications of the size of the original inputs?

In short: yes. :-)

> * Appliances that don't have config knobs: I agree.
>
> * Route BAs via home agent: I think we need them to go
>    directly to the sender. Otherwise, after a movement,
>    it is very hard to see an error response. Or?

HA should always have the up-to-date location.  This seems like an issue
only if network latency of MN->HA is greater than MN->CN->HA.

> * Retransmissions and mandatory BAs -- I think you are
>    right, both A=1 and mandatory BA case needs to have
>    retransmission rules and state.

Ok.

> * DHAAD security considerations. I think we have discussed
>    this in the past.

I hope some of that would have ended up in sec cons then ;-).

> * Movement detection DAD & old addresses. I think all addresses
>    have to be DADed per existing RFCs, if we have indeed
>    seen a movement.

Perhaps not all -- globals are supposed to be globals and perhaps DAD for
them is a bit of a cornercase.