Re: Authentication and email

--On 28. januar 2003 14:18 +0200 Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@lmf.ericsson.se> wrote:

They looked like SPAM mails to me. But in any event... does that matter?

Are we going to wait until they *are* SPAM mails and they *have* email
addresses of real subscribers before we make something?
far from it - the secretariat is testing out some antispam software even as we speak, and plans to make that service available to IETF-based lists.
BUT - ALL antispam software I've seen has false positives. This means that imposing antispam controls on mailing lists will mena that SOME postings that include things like LOTS OF YELLING will be delayed significantly in the process. (yes, the secretariat plans to do manual scanning of the caught spam to check for the false positives).

So it's not a free lunch.

Harald