Re: Authentication and email

Agreed. Having advanced anti-spam filters is great.

> So it's not a free lunch.

Well, I have to manually scan all the mails caught by the current filter
today anyway, so for me, the new filters come with no extra price.

But the issue Dean was bringing up was a different one. Just by chance,
Dean and I are attending a 3GPP-IETF workshop in San Francisco this
week, representing the SIPish working groups. We are telling those 3GPP
guys why all of their billion memory-limited terminals have to implement
S/MIME (they were quite opposed to that in the beginning), and how great
are self-signed certificates used in an SSH-like fashion... we also
explained them that if the SIP spec says that you MUST implement TLS and
S/MIME, they really MUST implement them.

And after giving them those speeches, we come back "home" to the IETF
and say that email security is undoable for our mailing lists for some
reason... it seems that MUSTs, SHOULDs and security considerations
sections do not apply to us ;o)

Gonzalo

--
Gonzalo Camarillo         Phone :  +358  9 299 33 71
Oy L M Ericsson Ab        Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35