Re: Authentication and email

At 5:15 PM +0200 1/28/03, Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
And after giving them those speeches, we come back "home" to the IETF
and say that email security is undoable for our mailing lists for some
reason... it seems that MUSTs, SHOULDs and security considerations
sections do not apply to us ;o)
This is an absurd argument. The security you are trying to achieve in
3GPP is completely unrelated to spam prevention.

I assume that anyone who is advocating using S/MIME or PGP for
spam-reduction has never used either protocol on a daily basis for
mail filtering. And I say this as one of the strongest public
proponents of those protocols. S/MIME and PGP are used for
authenticating the content of the messages, not for authenticating
the sender. If that doesn't make sense to you, please go read the
protocols: they're all on standards track and have been for many
years. Summaries and links to the RFCs can be found at
<http://www.imc.org/smime-pgpmime.html>.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium